H.S. Pass/No Pass Grade Change

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, Governor Newsom signed Assembly Bill 104 into law. Per AB104, parents/guardians of students who were enrolled in The Cottonwood School as a high school student during the 2020-21 school year may request to have any letter grade earned for a course changed to a Pass or No Pass on the student’s transcript.

Per the legislation, districts may not accept requests for a grade change after August 14, 2021. Once a form is received by The Cottonwood School, then we have 15 days to make the change on the student’s transcript and notify the family. All properly and timely submitted requests shall be granted, the requested letter grade changed to Pass or No Pass, and the parent notified of the same within fifteen (15) calendar days of the submission of the grade change request form.

Please note:

  • Students who are currently over the age of 18 may submit a grade change to Pass/No Pass independently from their parent/guardian.
  • The course requested for a Pass/No Pass must have been taken during the 2020-21 school year.
  • There is no restriction on which courses or which letter grades can be changed.

The change cannot negatively impact a student’s GPA. When an “F” is converted to a “No Pass,” the zero credits are no longer factored into the GPA. Similarly, changing a “D” or even a “C” letter grade to a “Pass” will likely increase a student’s GPA, depending on the GPA the student had prior to the grade change. No grade changes will be made that lower a student’s GPA.

Please be advised that some postsecondary educational institutions, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes.

The Request Form must be completed and submitted to The Cottonwood School contact listed below no later than August 14, 2021. No requests submitted after the cut-off date will be considered.

The Request Form must be submitted (we recommend email) to our School Counselor. You may also contact her with any questions:

Christina Strother

School Counselor

3921 Sandstone Drive, Suite A

El Dorado Hills, CA 95762


Note: If your student is new to The Cottonwood School and was a high school student during the 2020-2021 school year and received a letter grade earned for a course from a previous school that you wish to have changed to a Pass or No Pass on the student’s transcript, you will need to send the above form to the previous school. The Cottonwood School can change letter grades for students who earned the grade at The Cottonwood School only.

Latest News

Learn about our latest news, stories and much more!

Skip to content