We have arrived at our final 2022/23 school year destination! Now it’s time for us to embark on exciting adventures during our well-deserved summer break! In this edition of our weekly newsletter, we’ll explore destinations and activities for you to explore during our school break. Get ready for a summer filled with fun, learning, and unforgettable memories! We’ve gathered a list of free and low-cost resources to spark your creativity and provide endless ideas for summer exploration.
Tap into Local Resources and Gatherings:
- Don’t forget to join us at weekly park days every Thursday in Rocklin, El Dorado Hills, and Citrus Heights. We are growing in numbers weekly and can’t wait to meet you and play games, do experiments and art, explore nature, and play together!
- Join us at the CCC (3921 Sandstone Drive, El Dorado Hills) for Game Days every Monday from 12 – 3pm.
- Join the Kids Skate Free program to get free roller skating sessions at a skating center near you!
- Registered kids receive 2 FREE GAMES Of bowling each day of the Kids Bowl Free program all summer long!
- Now through August 31st, teens between the ages of 14-19 can work out for free all summer at Planet Fitness.
- Visit your local library’s website for free summer reading programs, workshops, events, and summer programs specifically designed for families. Visiting the library is a great way to beat the heat!
- Discover & Go is a program that Sac Library provides with free and low-cost passes for museums, science centers, zoos, theatres, and other cultural destinations using your library card.
- It’s spray park season! Get ready to cool off at your favorite local parks.
Explore Art and Creativity
- Join Amanda Bell on June 7, 2023, for Shakespeare in the Park: Romeo & Juliet by Take Note Troupe.
- Open Space is an online platform hosted by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) that features thought-provoking articles, artist interviews, and artistic experiments.
- Crocker Art Museum (Sacramento County): Discover the world of art at the Crocker Art Museum. Enjoy their Pay What You Wish Sundays, where you can explore the extensive collection, engage in interactive exhibits, and participate in hands-on activities. Website
- Murer House and Learning Center (Sacramento County): Immerse yourself in the world of Italian culture and art at the Murer House and Learning Center in Folsom.
Discover Science, History, and Culture
- The Exploratorium in San Francisco offers an extensive online Learning Toolbox with free science activities and resources.
- Join Maria Obolonchik in San Fransisco at the Exploratorium on Jun 2, 2023.
- The Bay Area Discovery Museum is a space for imaginations to run wild! Located at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge in Sausalito, the museum features exhibition spaces and daily programs for children six months of age to 8 years.
- Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park (El Dorado County): Step back in time and relive the California Gold Rush at Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park in Coloma. Explore the museum, take a hike, and try your hand at gold panning.
- Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park (Sacramento County): Visit Sutter’s Fort, a historical landmark in Sacramento that played a significant role in California’s early history.
- Placer County Museum (Placer County): Explore exhibits that highlight the area’s Native American heritage, the Gold Rush era, and more.
- Amador County Museum (Amador County): Journey to the Amador County Museum in Jackson and delve into the area’s fascinating history.
Outdoor Adventure Awaits
- Meet Jess Stoner and other Cottonwood families at Magnolia Ranch Trailhead for a nature hike down to the river on Jun 15, 2023.
- Join us at Stinson Beach Jun 23, 2023 for a fun day in the sun, building sand castles, searching for sealife on the shore, and playing games.
- Download the AllTrails app to discover a wide range of free hiking trails and outdoor activities across Northern California. Browse user reviews, trail maps, and difficulty ratings to find the perfect adventure for your family.
- Sly Park Recreation Area (El Dorado County): Venture out to Sly Park Recreation Area, nestled near Pollock Pines. Hike the scenic trails, picnic by Jenkinson Lake, and enjoy the fresh mountain air. It’s typically cooler at the higher elevations and worth the drive!
- American River Parkway (Sacramento, Placer, and El Dorado Counties): This expansive park offers miles of bike trails, picnic spots, and nature walks. Explore the diverse ecosystems, spot wildlife, and enjoy the serenity of the river.
- Auburn State Recreation Area (Placer County): Enjoy activities like hiking, swimming, fishing, and even gold panning. Take advantage of the captivating views from the overlooks along the trails.
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort (Alpine County): Explore hiking trails, go mountain biking, or take a scenic chairlift ride to enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding Sierra Nevada Mountains.
- Amador County Recreation Agency: Discover various outdoor recreational opportunities offered by the Amador County Recreation Agency, including hiking trails to sports fields and playgrounds.
- Folsom Lake State Recreation Area (Sacramento County): Swim in the lake, hike along the trails, go boating or picnic by the water.
Remember, the summer break is a time to relax and have fun while continuing to nurture your love for learning. These free resources provide endless ideas to fuel your adventures and keep the exploration going. So pack your backpacks, put on your adventure hats, and let this summer be one for the books!
I wish you an unforgettable summer filled with joy, exploration, and growth!